Monday, April 4, 2011

Goodbye USA

Just wanted to give a quick update on Tyler's status. He left yesterday out of Columbus, MS at 6:30am. I prepared myself for the joy that it would be to do this with a seven month old (left the house at 5am). Much to my surprise and delight, Emma fell asleep on the way to the airport, spent some time cuddling with Daddy (while awake) at the airport and then slept the car ride home. I could not have planned for it to go better. Obviously the airport was not enjoyable but we know that God is watching over our family and we will get through this. Tyler then flew through Memphis to get to Baltimore. He spent about 12 hours in Baltimore and then got on his rotater which took him to Germany, then Turkey, and now Manas. I just spoke with him (YAY!!!) and he is exhausted. It is 9am his time and he has not really slept. He will find out tonight at 8pm if he makes the flight to Bagram. If not, he will continue to report each night until he catches a flight. Hopefully he gets on sooner rather then later because we can not start our count down until he reaches Bagram. I will be able to add pictures from D Day once I get to CO. Emma and I are planning on leaving Friday. We will be flying standby with Tyler's mom. Tyler's parents have been a huge support in allowing our family to spend time together during the predeployment time (they have taken our dog to live with them so that Emma and I could stay in the hotel with him) and his mom is flying with me to CO just so that I can take extra bags for free. She works for Delta and can fly for free and take two bags for free. She is letting Emma and I fly on a buddy pass which also means that we get two bags for free. So yes, we will be traveling heavy. Thanks Sue and Chris, I hope you know how much we love you and appreciate all of the help that you are giving to us. I have to say Happy seven months old to Emma! You bring so much joy to our family!

2 comments:

  1. Love this blog. Thank-you for the update and Thank-you for being such an amazing, perfect daughter-in-law. I will pray that Tyler gets out of Bagram tonight! hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless the Shultz Family! Wade will have to try to see Tyler if he gets to BAF! :-) How cool to get a picture of them together :-) Praying for you Shannon- this will only make you stronger- as a person and as a couple :-) Can't wait to see you in 2 months!! :-)

    ReplyDelete